Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review + Swatches: L'Oreal Telescopic Liquid Eyeliner in Carbon Black

Hi guys! Today I'm reviewing my everyday eyeliner for you, the L'Oreal Telescopic Liquid Eyeliner in Carbon Black. I bought this about two months ago from Walgreens when I had run out of my Lancôme Artliner. I loved my Lancôme eyeliner because of the tip (I have one hooded eye and one normal eye, so I need an eyeliner that can make a thin line), however it was getting a bit expensive when I had to drop $30 every two months just for an eyeliner.



Initially, I chose this because I wanted an eyeliner that wouldn't smudge/fade, was very black, and had a tip that was thin, yet wasn't too flexible.

Did it work for me?
As it turns out, I think this eyeliner is awful. Although I don't like it, it does have some good qualities.

Let's start with the good! One thing that I do really like about this eyeliner is that the color is so rich and black. It's darker than the Lancôme Artliner, and is much more opaque in one swipe. With the Lancôme eyeliner, sometimes you'd have to go back over the line to make it more pigmented, whereas the L'Oreal is extremely pigmented the first time around.

thin line, thick line
 
Another thing I love about this eyeliner is that it DOESN'T SMUDGE! The photo above was taken after rubbing my finger across the lines numerous times (of course, you have to let it dry for 20-30 seconds first). When wearing this on my eyes, it lasted for 14 hours on a hot summer day without fading. And that was without primer! The finish of this eyeliner once it dries is matte, which I personally think looks more put together, but if you don't like matte eyeliner I wouldn't choose this. I am quite surprised that this isn't marketed as "waterproof," because even when my eyes water it doesn't smear! After noticing how well this held up, I checked numerous times to see if I accidentally bought the waterproof version.. but after looking on the L'Oreal website I know that this isn't the water resistant formula.

Even though it is extremely long wearing and durable, this eyeliner is quite easy to remove with makeup remover wipes or cleansing oil.
 
 
Now for the negative part of the review. The reason I won't be repurchasing this is because of the tip. On the package, it's described as a "felt tip" eyeliner, however on my eye it feels more like a rock tip, lol. It's rather uncomfortable to use, especially on the lashline. This also has no flexibility whatsoever, which makes it very hard to create a winged line and to go around the inner corner of your eye. With hooded eyes, it's difficult enough making a wing... but with this it just ends up looking like a blob. Besides the flexibility of the tip, I really don't like the shape of it either. It was virtually impossible to capture it in the photo, but the applicator is shaped as if the top third portion was cut off at an angle. With the sharp angle and the flexibility issue, the line on your eye looks really messy. As you can see in the photo, the swatches were rather uneven and squiggly. On the eye, it looks like the top of your eyeliner is jagged. I've tried evening it out many times, but since the applicator has no flexibility it just ends up making the eyeliner thicker, without fixing the initial issue.
 
 
PROS:
  • extremely rich, pigmented, dark color
  • doesn't smudge
  • long-wearing
  • easily accessible at the drugstore
 
CONS:
  • terrible applicator
 
Overall, I would not recommend this eyeliner to anyone. It has an amazing formula, however the execution with the applicator was disastrous. Even when using it on my sister and mom, it didn't look nice. I'm nearly finished with this so stay tuned for a possible empties post :) For anyone wondering, this retails for $9.95 on drugstore.com
 
That's all for now, have a great week!
xoxo
 
 
DISCLAIMER: ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN. I PURCHASED THIS WITH MY OWN MONEY.

No comments:

Post a Comment